Friday, July 30, 2010

Artists on the Mind Again!

Amazingly, it was another lovely afternoon and I had just come back from Yoga. Plopping down on the couch to take just a "small break" before I started my chores, I freely admit engaging in a moment of "channel surfing" with the remote. I was preoccupied yet again with the art ideas whirling around in my mind. "No one is an artist unless he carries his picture in his head before painting it..." Claude Monet This time, I was trying to nail down the theme for this year's collaborative art project. "You are lost the moment you know what the result will be." Juan Gris The sound on the T.V. was muted but when I glanced up I saw a dark haired, exotic woman. She was laying on a bed in a full body cast and I thought "No, it can't be." I must be the only one who always had artists on the mind. Very quickly, it became apparent that yes indeed, it was the life story of Frida Kahlo, the famous Mexican artist. "I live life in the margins of society, and the rules of normal society don't apply." Tamara De Lempicka It turned out to be a very long movie with the plot not only surrounding her physical traumas but also her tumultuous marriage, divorce, and remarriage to artist Diego Rivera. Volcanic. She was only 22 years of age and he was 42 when they married and he freely admitted that he was incapable of fidelity. And her paintings are sooo reflective of her life. This one below is called "The Two Fridas".
"I paint self portraits because I am the person I know best". Frida Kahlo The artistry of the movie was in its music, dance, and culture but I fear beyond that the drama may not have held the interest of many. "I call myself an artist for lack of a better word...There's no one name that fits me." Dale Chihuly I thought the actress who portrayed Frida captured her essence and certainly her thick distinctive eyebrows (I am pretty sure they were enhanced). May be time for another journey to the library and a quest for a good biography on her.

No comments:

__________ROY G. BIV

__________ROY G. BIV
Prism Captured Under the Crimson King. Photographer's beginning luck. Fine example of serendipity. Can't remember now of what I was really trying to take a picture."

INSPIRED BY

A Love of Nature
Serendipity
Fascination with Color

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths that we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
-Author Unknown

Over time I've learned not to fight a lot of things, including what my art looks like. Today, it comes from my soul and I allow it only to be source of joy. It has become one of my essential ingredients for happiness.

" The 3 essential elements of happiness are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for."
-Alan K. Chalmers

“First I dream my painting. Then I paint my dream” – Vincent van Gogh.

While my paintings are escapism, the real world reminds me daily of the work we have yet to do and the purpose that we serve. “To whom much is given, much is expected.” - Luke 12: 48


Welcome to My First Art Show in the Courtyard

Welcome to My First Art Show in the Courtyard
"Had lots of fun being a quirky artiste for a day! There was a cool band that played some great classic rock tunes. The temperature was well into the nineties. I loved basking in the sunshine. If you enjoy talking about art, this is a really easy way of meeting interesting people."