Saturday, November 10, 2012

Cultivating Your Creative Life

When things get really chaotic and stressful, I think about God and then I think about art. That seems to help. Lately, I noticed that I haven't painted anything major but I have been engaged in immersing myself in lots of smaller artsy activities. Trying to lose myself in the world of color and creativity. So here's what I've been doing. Maybe you would be interested in trying some of these things as well. Currently, I am reading a book by artist Alena Hennessy called Cultivating your Creative Life: Exercises, Activities and Inspiration for Finding Balance, Beauty and Success as an Artist. It is a really easy read with lots of pretty pictures. I was comforted and somewhat surprised to find that many artists share a common outlook about the world around them. That endless obsession with nature and seeing absolutely everything around them as the next potential art project. The book is in our public library system and I would recommend checking it out. It also has lots of inspirational quotes.
I've been making those art cards out of paint chips again. Mainly because I just enjoy playing around with the colors and it is an easy activity to do in the evening when I am usually just too exhausted to do much of anything else. I've also gathered up art supplies for a few children and am trying to dream up suggested art project ideas for them and to keep them inspired with art as well. Haven't gone to the museum lately but I've made it a point to get to a few new craft fairs, art shows, and dropped in on a neighborhood boutique. This is always a relaxing and fun way to be inspired. And then there is the TV show Artzooka. A show for kids but to be enjoyed by adults as well. They make great things out of truly ordinary stuff you will always have laying around your house. I cleaned out the art studio and it felt good to be at least temporarily organized. I was told about the really interesting Pinterest.com web site where you can find all kinds of interesting stuff.  Was really excited to be able to locate and attend a day long training on Art Therapy. Oh, and then of course, I have finally posted on my Art Blog after a long hiatus. Congrats to Pres Obama and if he happens to check out this post, (LOL) I am hoping that he doesn't forget about funding to the Arts in Education.
"You are today where your thoughts have brought you; you will be tomorrow where your thoughts take you. " -James Allen

No comments:

__________ROY G. BIV

__________ROY G. BIV
Prism Captured Under the Crimson King. Photographer's beginning luck. Fine example of serendipity. Can't remember now of what I was really trying to take a picture."

INSPIRED BY

A Love of Nature
Serendipity
Fascination with Color

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths that we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
-Author Unknown

Over time I've learned not to fight a lot of things, including what my art looks like. Today, it comes from my soul and I allow it only to be source of joy. It has become one of my essential ingredients for happiness.

" The 3 essential elements of happiness are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for."
-Alan K. Chalmers

“First I dream my painting. Then I paint my dream” – Vincent van Gogh.

While my paintings are escapism, the real world reminds me daily of the work we have yet to do and the purpose that we serve. “To whom much is given, much is expected.” - Luke 12: 48


Welcome to My First Art Show in the Courtyard

Welcome to My First Art Show in the Courtyard
"Had lots of fun being a quirky artiste for a day! There was a cool band that played some great classic rock tunes. The temperature was well into the nineties. I loved basking in the sunshine. If you enjoy talking about art, this is a really easy way of meeting interesting people."