Saturday, August 18, 2012

A Day in a Bug's Life

The other day, a friend of mine asked me what I had done over lunch. It had been another one of those sweltering over 90 degree days and so I said that I had sat a little bit in the park to unwind. Truth was, it was more like I wanted to see how long I could endure the heat before I was eager to go back indoors and unbelievably I was even eager to return to work. My friend then asked me if I had talked to the squirrels again.

Now you know the moment...when you are not sure whether you should be embarrassed at your quirky behaviors or laugh at your friend's candid humor that was directed towards you. I chose the high road and simply acted non plussed and said, NO, I did NOT talk to the squirrels. Actually, none was around because it was too hot for them to be out and about. I did however, have a short tete a tete with a strange looking bug who came a crawling. I mean a calling.

I was trying to do some sketching which ironically wasn't going so hot in the heat. This intruder had really started to bug me. So, I turned the tables and started trying to sketch him. Suddenly, he decided that he did not wish to hang around any longer. I am still way too hesitant when I sketch and so I figured that this was the perfect teaching moment. I tried to draw more quickly before he got away and gave him a gentle poke with my pencil to keep him moving in the right direction. I even tried a few words of encouragement and of appreciation. Eventually, I released him from his duty and watched as he waddled away. We must have become fast friends because very shortly he decided to visit again. YIKES! I looked over my shoulder and there I saw those familiar antennae waving (hello?) at me. But I was tired of playing our game and really hot by now. This time, it was I who quietly crept away.


 This is what I have been working on lately. I wanted to experiment and to try a more abstract floral design on a canvas bag. Not sure what happened. Well, I do know. I enjoy painting butterflies and gardens too much to give them up. I think that I shall keep this bag for myself and maybe try an abstract design again later. My next project is to begin sketching a huge 3' x 4' canvas for this year's Summer Collaborative Art. And already dreaming what I'll do after that...
"Every creator painfully experiences the chasm between his inner vision and its ultimate expression." ~Isaac Bashevis Singer






No comments:

__________ROY G. BIV

__________ROY G. BIV
Prism Captured Under the Crimson King. Photographer's beginning luck. Fine example of serendipity. Can't remember now of what I was really trying to take a picture."

INSPIRED BY

A Love of Nature
Serendipity
Fascination with Color

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths that we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
-Author Unknown

Over time I've learned not to fight a lot of things, including what my art looks like. Today, it comes from my soul and I allow it only to be source of joy. It has become one of my essential ingredients for happiness.

" The 3 essential elements of happiness are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for."
-Alan K. Chalmers

“First I dream my painting. Then I paint my dream” – Vincent van Gogh.

While my paintings are escapism, the real world reminds me daily of the work we have yet to do and the purpose that we serve. “To whom much is given, much is expected.” - Luke 12: 48


Welcome to My First Art Show in the Courtyard

Welcome to My First Art Show in the Courtyard
"Had lots of fun being a quirky artiste for a day! There was a cool band that played some great classic rock tunes. The temperature was well into the nineties. I loved basking in the sunshine. If you enjoy talking about art, this is a really easy way of meeting interesting people."